Friday, June 24, 2011

Image colours too bright/saturated in Google Chrome!

My regular browser is Firefox, but I was recently look at my online photo gallery in Google Chrome to see if some of the slideshow effects were working properly.

One thing I noticed almost immediately was that a lot of my pictures had very garrish colours, much more oversaturated than the same pictures/URLs appears in Firefox or IE (on the same monitor.)

Given that I have a Dell IPS monitor, the gamut and saturation are inherently quite a bit higher and Windows and applications need to be colorspace aware to properly display colours. So some searching led me to this page: http://www.binaryturf.com/enable-color-management-google-chrome/

It looks like even now, Google Chrome still does not enable color/monitor profile support by default! Yikes... Adding the setting described above corrects the problem on my monitor. ie, the solution is:

  1. Edit the Google CHrome startup shortcut
  2. Add the startup parameter " --enable-monitor-profile" to the end of the command line.

No comments:

Post a Comment